Sunday, 17 February 2013

Seth's room


Anyone remember me?

I can't believe I haven't had anything to say for the last 5 months.  I didn't mean to be absent for so long but anyone with an Etsy shop will know how insane it can get leading up to Christmas.

I had no time to clean my house let alone fluff it so that it's good enough to photograph, little time for projects and little time for me.

Over the last few weeks we were forced to do a bit of work around the house (something very exciting has happened which I'll share another day).  I even had cleaners in one day last week so with all my rooms clean and tidy and some are freshly painted so I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I always stress about what needs doing so for the first time in ages am having a lovely, slow weekend.  Today is also a special day for me as my gorgeous boy has just come back from a school ski trip to America.  I hated him going but know what a great experience it is for him (some may remember that he went on the same trip last year and I followed close by as I was pretty anxious about him being so far away!  SAD, I know but that's me!!)

Anyway this year I left him in peace but took the week off work to redecorate his room while he was away.  He's a growing boy and is already towering over me.  His 6ft antique sleigh bed (child's size) was getting a bit claustrophobic for him so we put a wooden bed that used to be in our spare room (before it became my craft room) in his room.  I bought new bedding - the duvet cover and top pillow cases are a pale blue shirt stripe from Peacock Blue (Vermont stripe) and the ones underneath are vintage denim ones by Lexington plus I found a cool pillow from thick canvas with a number 1 on it (for number 1 child!!).  I repainted his walls and panelling plus gave his drawers a fresh coat of paint.  I also added card holders to his drawers to give them a bit of interest.  I bought a new bedside cabinet and a really cool mirror to hang above it.

He's had the panelling in his room for years and I chose a white bedside cabinet with a shutter style door to go with his wooden bed as I like the idea of his room having a coastal feel in the summer and more of a cabin look in the winter.

He came home from his trip an hour ago and just said "woah" when he opened the door with a huge smile on his face.

Here's his new room (you can see his old room here)
  


we already had one of these stars so I bought a bigger one to go above his bed.  His Jasper Johns print of the American flag used to hang over his bed which was side-on to this wall so we had to move it down and I just wanted something small over his bed.  I think these stars are just the thing.


I love his mirror.  It's kind of an oil rubbed bronze dark brown metal with a thick rope hanger and looks a little like a port-hole.


To the left of his bedside cabinet is an old fishing creel with a great big pile of crap in it!  Kids amass so much rubbish that I just dumped it all in there and he can go through it when he's had a good sleep! 


We bought the 'moose crossing' sign in Canada 10 years ago and have never used it.  It looks great under Moosey!



We are going on holiday in April so are trying to keep all our money to spend on holiday but after we come back we have a few things to do in here before it's finished.  We want to reorganise the inside of his closet, add white wooden shutters on his window and have shelving and storage built around and to the side of his drawers so the whole wall next to his closet becomes a large built-in storage area.

Hope everyone's having a nice chilled weekend like I'm having :)

xoxox



7 comments :

  1. Seth's room is adorable. Love the mirror near bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love seth's room! welcome back.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you back! Seth's room looks fab - no wonder he was happy too see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Samantha. Seth's room is lovely, what a great surprise. Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful room! I have four sons (only one left at home), and I have never seen a boy's room look that good! hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x