Friday, 13 January 2012

Balance

I didn't make any New Year Resolutions this year as I know I won't stick to them - the main one should be to eat less chocolate but I'll end up getting carried away and make more resolutions than I can handle.  This will lead me to get stressed which will make me eat more chocolate.  To make New Year Resolutions is just counter-productive for me.

Instead my goal for this year is just one word - BALANCE


image from here

I work full time, have two kids whose swimming lessons alone take up 5 evenings a week without their other activities, have an extremely messy house and run my little business from home.  I constantly feel like I am juggling way too many things at once.

This year I want to:

balance my family life and my small business
clock off by a reasonable hour on weekends so that we can have movie nights or games nights

balance my 'parent' life and 'couple' life
make sure my husband and I make time for date nights (something we've let slide)

balance my home life
I rarely have time for decorating any more - I no longer work Fridays but tend to use that day for my business so still have very little spare time.  On the other hand my business is making money so this year I'm going to hire people to do some work around the house for me.  Our house is in desperate need of redecorating and whilst I could do the work myself I never have the time plus a professional will do a better job in half the time.  I've taken some convincing to do this but it does make sense.

balance my bank account
I love making things myself and will make as much for the home as I can which means I can then splash out on something I really want.  I'm getting much better at watching the pennies but want to improve this year - by December I want to be a real tight ass!  Which leads me on to ...

balance my weight
I used to be super skinny (many years ago) and am now super top heavy!  I hate it but never enough to do anything about it.  I'm not going to diet or take on an exercise programme which will surely kill me but do plan on watching what I eat more and becoming more active.

balance my 'me-time'
I love reading (crime novels in particular - no wonder I'm scared of the dark).  I have very little time for reading these days.  Over Christmas I had loads of time off work and rediscovered the simple pleasure of just sitting down with a book.  I find it difficult to switch off and relax so reading is good for me.  I plan on making for time for me to enjoy some good books.  I also had some spa vouchers for my birthday last November which I haven't used yet so plan on using those soon.  I'm also making the time to get my hair done every month - I normally have it cut twice a year and colour the greys myself but they are coming thick and fast now so for the last three months I've been having them done professionally.  Initially I was anxious about spending this kind of money but it goes back to the fact that I'm working hard and making a little extra from Etsy which is probably contributing to the abundance of grey so  it's only fair that Etsy takes me back to my 'natural brown with floodlights'!  I'm hoping I'll keep up with my monthly hair pampering session.

and lastly...
balance my blog more
I've become an 'all or nothing' person.  I'm missing loads of posts from my favourite blogs as I don't have the time to just sit and enjoy reading them.  I'm posting very little and I've become the world's worst at replying to comments (this is partly down to time differences - most of my comments are left when I'm in work or in bed and I mean to reply when I get home from work but get caught up in other things).  I do appreciate and read all comments and sorry if I don't reply.

Hope 2012 has started off great for everyone.
The sun is shining in Wales today (for once) and my spirits feel lifted - it does really feel like the start of a New Year here so I'm looking forward to seeing what it will bring.

xoxox




2 comments :

  1. Great inspirations for the New Year Samantha!! It truly is about balance!

    Xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, you could substitute my name for yours in much of this list! I plan to find a little more balance this year as well. I hope you find balance in all of those areas and that this year is your best year yet. Let's become tight asses together, shall we?! ;-)

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x