Tuesday, 20 December 2011

A new look for my gold mirror

After I took photos of my Christmas decorations yesterday I decided, completely on impulse, to paint the mirror.  I've had this mirror for years and bought it primarily for it's shape and detail.  I'm not really a gold or gilt person but have always had the intention of painting it one day.  Two coats of Annie Sloane chalk paint and a healthy dollop of wax (clear and dark oak) later and here she is.


I rubbed just a little dark wax here and there to break up the white.


This is how she started the day yesterday...



And this is how she looked at bedtime!


I was a little nervous that I was making a mistake and was going to ruin a perfectly good mirror but I definitely prefer it white.  We are going to paint the hall in the new year and I'm planning on using Farrow and Ball's Off White throughout the whole of the downstairs - we already have it in several rooms and it's kind of a greeny grey neutral so I think the white mirror will look much better with that colour than the gold.

Good night!

Sam
xoxox

2 comments :

  1. I think the mirror looks great...it has wonderful detail that shows nicely with the white paint...nice job...happy holidays, Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look you've given your mirror - a real fresh makeover x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x