Sunday, 11 September 2011

Remembering

10 years ago I was pregnant with Lily when I got a call at work from my husband telling me he would be late home from work as a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre (my husband works is an operations manager in news and magazine distribution).  I was completely shocked (we had been there ourselves before we had had children) but I had no idea how much more shocking the day was going to become.  Work stopped, everyone was taking calls from family members who were at home watching the news as the most horrible day in my memory progressed.  I spent the rest of the day watching the TV with my hands over my mouth time and time again and my three year old son asking me why I was crying.  This was the day I learned just how much evil there is in the world.  But more importanly, I learned about strength, patriotism and love.
 
Even though I am in the UK I believe that we are one world - what happened on 9/11 was the most awful thing I could ever have imagined.  It affected everyone.  I still can't watch footage of the day without crying all over again. 
 
 
 
♥ For the husband who told his wife I love you one last time before his plane went down in a field ♥ For the wife who stopped in the stairs to call her husband to say I will love you forever ♥ For the mothers and fathers who kissed their kids goodbye the morning they died ♥ For the policemen who rushed in with the firemen to help get others out only to die themselves ♥ For the soldiers who fought back and lost their lives. ♥ today and every day we remember you!!! ♥


3 comments :

  1. A lovely tribute Samantha, thankyou. Love Linda x
    I was working in a clients home when it happened, they called me in to their living room shouting 'look at this', I remember looking at the plane going into the building thinking, this must be some new movie that's out. It took me a good minute to actually take in that it was real, and it was happening. My mum was actually in NY at that time, and we had a great deal of difficulty getting through to her. We did, and she was safe...thank God! It was a most terrible thing to have happenened in any country, but we do have a bond with America, so it makes it harder. New Yorkers have great tenacity and community spirit and they are survivors, but God Bless them all at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a lovely tribute, Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post Sam. And it's true, we are one world. I hope that within our children's lifetimes it will be a world of peace and not hate.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x