Thursday, 2 June 2011

Wooden wall letter


A few months ago I came across a big wooden letter S on Etsy and loved the distressed paint effect.

my inspiration

I e-mailed the seller for shipping costs and they got back to me and by the next day when I went to order it their store had closed down on Etsy so I couldn't order one. 



I managed to find a 30cm letter in the same style on ebay so decided to have a go at replicating this paint effect.
I used to sell painted wooden letters in my shop but the distressing I did was much more basic.
I would paint the letters and then sand back random areas around the edge and apply a dark oak wax to the exposed areas and rub it in all over the letter to seal it and age the paint a little.
The paint effect on this letter is a much more heavily distressed look.
It took a few attempts  for me to get it right.

I also wanted it with a little more white paint showing than in my inspiration photo.
Firstly I stained the letter in a dark wood stain but it came out quite orange and I didn't like the look. 
I then painted the letter in a dark umber acrylic paint and gave it a light sanding with a sponge.
On top of that I painted white acrylic paint but left some areas unpainted.

I gave it a sanding but it was too smooth and I was looking for a more lumpy/blobby 'left outside in the rain for the paint to peel off' look so I just kept blobbing dollops of white paint until I felt it looked right.
I was really sorry that I missed out on the one I fancied but I ended up with the same thing for a fraction of the cost.
Where there's a will there's a way!

~

I am one of the many people having trouble leaving comments on blogs.  I am trying but blogger just keeps making me sign in and not letting my comments post.  In the last week or so I've managed to leave one comment (and that one posted straight away with no problems!).  As of tonight I'm having trouble uploading photos too - is anyone else having these problems?


xoxox

*** QUICK UPDATE ON LEAVING COMMENTS ***

I've been finding it so frustrating not being able to leave comments that I've been googling it and so many others are having the same problem.  For me every time I write a comment it makes me sign in and then sends me back to the comment but makes me sign in again - non stop!
Someone suggested that when you sign in untick the 'leave me signed in' box and I've just done that and it worked for me so if you're having problems try this.
Good luck!

xoxox

Linkin up to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Night Special

6 comments :

  1. Love it, would be perfect for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your letter turned out great, Samantha! I think I need one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the letter and the shelf its hanging on.

    I had problems commenting last week it does seem to be the signing in thing, have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done the letter looks lovely. For future reference, to get the very distressed look of the first letter, after you have stained or painted it dark brown, apply blobs of furniture wax with a sponge around the edges and areas you want to be brown. Paint on the finish colour and leave to dry. Use a hot air gun or a hot hairdryer and soften the wax then sand using a med grade sand paper, this will expose the brown areas underneath the wax. Hope this makes sense and is helpful, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put together a round up of fun letter/monogram projects on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-letter-monogram-craft-ideas/

    If you would like a Craft Gossip badge showing you've been featured, you can grab one here :)
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    Thanks for sharing your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x