Thursday, 26 May 2011

Vintage jam pot vase


A few weeks ago I found a vintage jam pot at an Antiques Centre (or a jelly pot if you are not in the UK).
It was plain when I bought it but it was in really good condition and I loved the colour and shape. 

It reminded me of the Digit Spice Jars that Anthropolgie sold a while ago but which sadly weren't available over here in the UK.


 I fancied adding a number to the front to 'spice' it up a little (sorry!).
My first thought was to apply a number using a stencil and ceramic paint but then I decided against this as it would be difficult to remove if I want it to have a different look later.


So I printed out a number 5 in a font I liked and then, with a craft knife, carefully cut around the edges.
I then stuck the number to contact paper (the clear stuff used to cover school books) face up and cut around that leaving a very slight edge which could stick to the jar.


The jar cost £1 - who doesn't love a bargain?!

This was such a simple way to add a little something to a plain piece and can easily be changed if you go off it - I love it!

xoxox 


The Lettered Cottage

10 comments :

  1. Love that! I'm stopping in from The Lettered Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so clever sam, and so pretty! It also looks perfect with the flower and together with the other vintage bits and pieces!
    LOVELY and a very nice idea for a quick and not permanent makeover!!!!
    federica

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant - using the contact paper just slightly over the printout...genius! I know I just 'met' you today but I love you!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so clever, it looks amazing, I want one! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping in from The Lettered Cottage. I was so inspired I ran and got my jar with my favorite number 3 on it, threw in some daisy's and put it up on my mantel. A great start for my summer mantelscape! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so neat. I love, love, love letters and numbers on items and am always wondering how to get 'that look'. (We always have clear contact paper around for the kids- -makes for a quick 'laminated' effect for homemade placemats, flashcards and such.) Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. I have some little red tea cannisters in my sons room and I want to number them 1,2,3. I can't hand paint and I dont have a vinyl lettering machine so i wasn't sure how I could do it. Paper & contact. Hmmm ... why didn't I work that one out? Great idea. Thanks for the inspiration and the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x