Friday, 22 April 2011

A new look for an old cupboard

I have a busy couple of weeks ahead of me.

In a fortnight I will be a guest speaker at the Grand Designs Live Show in London.

I'm really scared as I have never done anything like this before and am worried I'm going to mess up!

I plan on speaking on blogging and the huge amount of talent and inspiration which is freely available in the world of blogging plus giving furniture a new lease of life with paint.


We have a cupboard in our dining room which we brought back from London with us almost 14 years ago.  When we moved here I decided to paint it green and used a paint specifically for furniture and mixed the colour myself.


I then sanded back areas which would have had a lot of wear and tear and applied a dark oak wax.


We plan on replacing this cupboard with a purpose built open shelving unit as I want to have our plates, dishes and glassware within easy reach.  Until then I decided to change the look of the cupboard a little.
I've been wanting to try Annie Sloan's chalk paint since I read about it on Miss Mustard Seed and Perfectly Imperfect so tried it out on this cupboard.


I painted the whole cupboard in old white.
This paint doesn't need any primer and dries really quickly.
I should have sanded it first though to remove the old wax as it showed through the first coat.


I sanded it back a lot and gave it a second coat, then I sanded parts right back to distress it a little.
Both the old green paint and the original wood were exposed.  I really like this effect.


I then applied  clear finishing wax to the whole cupboard and a dark jacobean oak shade of wax to the exposed areas.



Not so much a facelift, more a touch of botox for this tired old piece of furniture!


This cupboard will never win any beauty contests but is a very useful and practical place to house all my interiors books.

...And the dining room looks a little brighter now.

xoxox

11 comments :

  1. It's so pretty, I just love it!
    Good luck, I know you will do wonderfully!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautifully and I've been wanting to try her paint for a very long time, so I need to just bite the bullet and get it ordered so that I can transform my coffee table in hopes that it will look as good as your cupboard!

    And you will be amazing, so don't be nervous about your talk!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks right at hom right there, but a cabinent like that would look great anywhere. I am sure you can find many a spot once your builtins get done.

    I like it in both colours, but I especially like the white with the green showing through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way your cabinet turned out. It does brighten your vignette up alot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful! I've not heard of that paint but maybe we just don't have it in Australia. How exciting about your presentation! It sounds like a big, exciting affair. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you through Miss Mustard Seed and I'm delighted by your blog! The green showing through to the white in distressed spots is my favorite thing about this sweet cupboard. I can't wait to try chalk paint soon! Good luck at the design show! :)

    Erin
    Carolina Country Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cabinet looks really great with it's new 'botoxed' look! I love how a simple makeover can freshen a whole space.. I'm addicted.. my poor furniture!!
    Best of luck with your presentation, I'm sure you will be fantastic! Happy Easter
    Flick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I must get some of that paint!
    Good luck with your presentation...you will be wonderful!
    Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's gorgeous Samantha! And how exciting that you'll speak at the Grand Designs show..hope it goes well. Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Samantha! Newest follower :) You've got so much creativity going on in your blog so can
    you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop?

    This is a combination of linky party (where we can show off our creations) and of blog hop (where we can follow as many excellent bloggers as we like), hence the name Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. It's a great way to meet awesome creative bloggers like you and increase your followers in the process.

    All you have to do is 1) link up whatever creative post you'd like to share - can be a DIY project, decor, photography, crafts, recipes, poem, thrift finds, tips, or that informative syndicated post that can make us laugh, or cry - in short, whatever you're proud of! 2) Then follow as many blogs as your heart desires, preferably starting first with the one before you and after you, and leave a comment to them that you're doing so.

    You’re not required to include the party button but if you’re so inclined to display it in your blog or your post, you’re very much welcome to
    do so :)

    See you at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-042411.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x