Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Monogrammed grain sack pillow

Like so many of you I love grain sacks but so far have only bought the ones without letters stitched on either side of the stripes.

I eventually hope to include some with letters to my growing stock as they look so gorgeous - see the one below in Maria's gorgeous bedroom.


image from Dreamy Whites

I recently found some gorgeous canvas which is very much like grain sack in texture and colour so have been making a pile of pillows / cushions out of this.

Last night I decided to try my hand at adding monogrammed letters either side of the stripes.  I chose my daughter's initials for her first and middle name - L and M for Lily Manon (I know Manon is unusual - it's Welsh - both my children have Welsh middle names and my son chose Lily's middle name when I was pregnant).


Using freezer paper (of course!  I'm obsessed with this stuff) I typed out an L and an M in the same kind of font that is often found on original grain sacks - taped these over freezer paper and cut through both layers.  Ironed the paper onto my fabric either side of the stripes and dabbed with red fabric paint.  I then set this with a hot iron so it can be washed and washed!  Hopefully it will fade and age a bit with age.

I think it's a really good way of getting the look of a monogrammed grain sack without the price and you're guaranteed to get the initials you want!

These are available to order from my etsy shop.
(Sorry for the shameless plugging of my etsy shop but I'm saving for next year's holiday!)

xoxox

5 comments :

  1. What a GREAT idea! I think the shameless posting is FABULOUS! I've recently started my Christmas shopping too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous as always Sam! You are one clever chicken for sure. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, the pillow looks great! you must have the paintence of a saint to cut those letters out. So small and and fancy.
    Nothing wrong with a little shameless plugging now and then. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! I have heard of people using freezer paper, but I have yet to attempt it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding so many cute things here I'm going to follow you. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. I invite you to visit my blog and do likewise!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x