Sunday, 8 August 2010

Linen ruffle table runner

Somebody stop me!
I'm a girl on a mission at the moment - my sewing machine has been brought down from the attic and has sewn more in the last week than in the 10 years or so that I've owned it!


Yesterday I started a table runner.  I used a roll of brown paper to use as my template - this was really easy to do as I just laid one edge of the brown paper against the edge of the table - marked out my width and followed the lines on the brown paper to cut.  When I finished I folded the paper over to make sure it was the same width all the way.  Then I laid the paper on top of the fabric and drew around the sides - the runner is longer than my table so I just slid the fabric along and kept drawing.  Cut 2cm around my marked fabric for hemming - pinned this piece to a second piece and stitched down both long sides.  Turned it inside out and pressed it. 

We then went out for dinner with two of my oldest and best friends from school and their husbands (they all live in England so we don't get a chance to do this often) and had a great meal and a really good time.

We got home about 11.30 so we watched two episodes of the new series of Rules of Engagement which we had recorded (I love that show) then Pat fell asleep due to the amount of wine and beer he had consumed so I went back to my sewing as any sane person does at half 12 in the morning!

I then made two ruffles by folding a piece of linen in half and hemming up one side then I pinned ruffles in place until I had enough to fit inside the open ends.  Unpinned, turned inside out and hemmed the other side then turned 'outside in!' and pinned the ruffles in place again.  Made sure it fit then sewed across the top of the ruffles.  Turned the open ends of the runner inside and placed the ruffle inside and stitched along the outside.  Repeat!


This was pretty easy but because of it's size was quite labour intensive and messy - I had to keep moving things from my table to the ironing board to the floor....depending on what I needed to do next. 

Until recently I had never made a ruffle - now they are becoming a bit of an obsession!

xoxox

9 comments :

  1. Samantha..what a sweet little DIY project...looks lovely darling..well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, you did a great DIY project! Sounds easy too!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely adorable!! I ♥♥ ruffles, too! Blogland is just full of them recently, and it always makes me go, "Ahhhh... Pretty..." ;)
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous - I do love me a good ruffle! Just lovely. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks just lovely - you did a wonderful job. I can't wait to get my sewing machine out in the not too far distant future :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is lovely! I am a huge fan of ruffles and I am green with envy today!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tablecloth runner! I am so going to have to make one! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x