Wednesday, 25 August 2010

For the love of Snail Mail - on the hunt for pen-pals


I love writing letters.

I love receiving letters even more.

When I was at school I had three pen-pals through the IYS (International Youth Service) and wrote to them for years.  I don't think the IYS exists any more.

We were given forms to complete and had to choose countries that we were interested in having friends in.

I didn't get to go to America until my honeymoon and always really wanted to so one of my penpals was in San Francisco, one was in Canada and I later had one in Mexico (to help me practise my Spanish). 

I am still in touch with two of them.


A few months ago I was talking to my daughter and her friends about my pen-pals and they loved the idea of writing to kids their own age from another country so we decided to set up a pen-pal club.

Our plan was to first find some pen-pals (more on that in a sec) and then to meet at our house once a month or so and have a little tea party then sit around and write short letters, which I would supervise, and hopefully read the ones that had been sent to them in between.

The penpals would need to be English speaking as in Wales the only other language they learn at their age is Welsh!

We Googled schools in the States as we thought the kids there would like similar music, tv programmes etc and contacted the Principal of one school which we chose at random but she never got back to me.  I fully understand that she was probably just suspicious and cautious so didn't bother trying another school.  No doubt immigration has been informed and I'm on some weirdo list somewhere and will be taken aside for interrogation on my next visit to the States.



However, the girls still want their penpal club.

So basically, can you help?

My daughter and her friends are 8 going on 9 and about to start year 4 next week - I think this is the equivalent of the 3rd grade in the States.

There are 5 girls and their names are Lily, Maddie, Molly, Holli and Alex and they would love to write to a group of friends of around the same age.

I would make sure that the club is kept up with and not abandoned leaving their poor transatlantic friends disappointed.

I'm not a weirdo!  Well, I am a bit but I'm not dangerous.

You've all known me for a while now so know that I have values and morals etc. and love doing fun stuff with my kids.

Whilst I love my computer and how easy it is to make friends all over the world through blogging I do love the thrill of old fashioned snail mail arriving on my doormat (except bills or final demands that is!)  It would also help my daughter with her spelling and she needs a lot of help!

If your daughter and her friends would be interested please let me know - they may make lasting friendships like their Mummy's do on-line - you never know.


xoxox

9 comments :

  1. What a fabulous idea! Unfortunately I can't help with little girls but I'm sure someone out there in blogland can.
    I love getting letters in the mail too, it happens so rarely these days :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam

    I have an eight year old boy who would benefit from some writing practice and loves receiving things in the mail. If by chance you don't recieve responses from anyone with little girls please keep us in mind. My son is an active little man with a great interest in sports and outdoor activities. We live in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 63shells - thanks for the suggestion. We may well take you up on the offer but beforehand I will check with a boy in her class who lives close by to see if he would like to join our penpal club - I'm sure he would. I'll get back to you soon!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Sam, my girls are much older, but I think it's a great idea! Good luck with it, I'm sure your daughter will thoroughly enjoy the experience. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam, I have a 9 year old daughter (year 4 in Australia) who would love to have a pen pal overseas!! I'll email you. Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea Sam - if Grace were only older :( Hope your girls get in touch with some lovely pen pal friends x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sam, I came across your etsy shop while searching shop local and I love your crafts (and your home)! I love the penpal idea - my daughter is only 1 but I'll do this when she's older. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea!!!

    Thanks for the note today. Nice to know I'm not alone in the breathing thing. I guess it never changes :)
    XOXO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I just found your lovely blog and Etsy store! If you have some boys join your penpal club, my son (8 years, 3rd grade) would love to join, too!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x