Saturday, 8 May 2010

My Pottery Barn inspired memo board - finished at last!

Remember when I posted here that I was planning on making a notice board/blackboard taking inspiration from Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs?

Well here, after much faffing, it is:


It seems like I've been working on this thing for ages.  I had a few hiccups so kept putting it to one side but have now finished it (apart from adding two more hooks on the bottom).

~

I started with a sheet of MDF which measured 4ft x 2ft but this wasn't quite tall enough so my husband added another strip of MDF along the bottom.


I measured and cut all of the trim pieces myself which is a first for me!

I lay each piece out on the MDF to decide where it would all go and then drew around each piece so I knew where to paint my blackboard and how big a noticeboard I had to buy.

I painted a blackboard on the main piece of MDF.

I spray painted each piece prior to attaching with Rustolem primer and then finished it off with a few coats of Rustoleum painter finish paint in White gloss finish.


Once all the pieces were on the board I covered the notice board with linen and hot glued that in place on the back.  I then attached it (sunken into a frame I had made within the board) with Gorilla glue.  I put really heavy books on top for a couple of hours and it's stuck fast now.  I then used parcel tape to tape off lines as I wanted to paint the linen to look like an antique grain sack.  I did this by eye as I wanted it to look quite simple and not too perfect.

I then decided to add some letters either side of the stripes so added S and L which are my children's initials.


I added some black iron hooks along the bottom to hang things as I make them!
I want five hooks so will add two more.


Lastly I painted a few small wooden hearts and hot glued them to drawing pins to make nice push pins.


I used a piece of L shaped trim between the main piece and bottom piece to hold chalk and to prop up pictures etc.

All the joins which were visible down the side were covered by yet another piece of trim.


I hope you like it!
xoxox


I am linking this to I made it without my hubby over at Shanty2chic
and SNS#29 at Funky Junk Interiors
and Funky Junk Interiors SNS#69 Bulletin-Boards

17 comments :

  1. That is really cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, its fantastic such inspiration thank you for sharing, it makes me want to start making one right now.
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam this is AWESOME!!! I just love everything that you do. You are so creative and such a great inspiration. Although I would love one of these, I think this is a little out of my skill range, so will admire yours from afar. Fantastic job!!! LOVE it. Wishing you a lovely Mothers Day ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a fabulous job Sam! Love it! I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an unexpected place to find a french linen piece! LOVE it! Such a productive AND beautiful piece.. the best kind imo. Wheels are turnin here...

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sam, what a fabulous job you've done on your noticeboard - I love it!! You are very clever and I am highly impressed. I love the design you came up with and the heart pins are a cute touch. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day too and thanks for the wishes you left me on my blog. Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUPER cute! I love the linen!!! I need to do some of that. I really need a memo board anyway haha. HEY! I just watched Leap Year, and it was filmed (at least i think) in Wales!! I want to visit SO BAD!!! AAAH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your board turned out great...love that vintage look mix modern chalk space...enjoyed my visit here. count me as your new follower..have a great week. verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your memo board! Yes, it does look like it came from a high end catalog! I am impressed that you did measuring and cutting yourself! I need to get up the nerve to use saws myself! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the memo board, you've done an amazing job! Thanks for your interesting comment on my blog. My husband is British and he told me that most UK bathrooms have carpet - I didn't believe him! Such a health issue! Your blog is lovely, I look forward to seeing more..Oh, and I love your profile description - we have some common faves! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out great! I saw your post over at Reinvented and thought I would stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sam!
    I´m glad you visited my blog so I could find yours!!
    What a lovely memoboard you made!
    And in your post below your showing my absolute favourite home....
    Have a nice weekend!
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sam,
    I'm so glad you visited my blog, because now I've found your blog.:) Thanks for the nice compliments. Your home is beautiful. I love all the inspirational photos! You like a lot of the same designers I do.
    Great job on the notice board...looks great!!
    It's nice to meet you. Bye for now, ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It came out wonderfully! Very clever! I love monogrammed stuff, it adds a really nice touch! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. REally love the memo board, you've done a great job! Pop over to my blog, I'm having a giveaway :0)
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a fabulous job ~ looks great. Stopping in from FJI-SNS.
    http://welcometotheturnerfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x