Monday, 31 May 2010

My study / kids lounge


Quite a few years ago we had some building work done on our house.  We built over our garage making our third bedroom bigger and adding a fourth bedroom.  As we had to have pillars built into our garage to support the extra rooms above it meant the garage door wouldn't close so we decided to have a window put in and convert the garage into a room which could double as a kids room and a study.  As we would be losing so much storage space we decided to have floor to ceiling cupboards built at the back of the room to house everything from paint to craft supplies.  The cupboards at the top we called our 'December cupboards' as they were out of reach of inquisitive children so would be a good place to hide presents.

~

Unfortunately this room has never worked for me.  The desk has moved from the long wall opposite the door to below the window.  Same thing with the sofa.  That always left a biggish (it is only a small room) floor area with no definition.  I had told my husband I would be quite happy to turn it back into a garage as I felt there was little we could do to make it work.

I then came up with the idea of splitting the room down the middle to give it two distinct areas.  Just before Christmas my husband had a week off so built a just over half height wooden structure which took some work as we didn't want to attach it to the floor in case we didn't like how it ended up.  We didn't want to be left with screw holes in an expensive oak floor.  He then attached bead board and trim and I painted it white.  It is really solid and not going anywhere.  We didn't want a full wall as the study part would have ended up too dark plus it's just tall enough to give privacy when you are in either area.  My desk backs onto one side of the wall with my storage cupboards behind me and my kids telly and x-box backs onto the wall on the other side (I am planning on making a Pottery Barn style TV unit adapting plans from Ana at Knock Off Wood) but haven't got round to it yet.  I will then change our 'antique' portable TV to a flat screen but due to time and money this won't be for a few months yet.

~

I've now gone from hating this space to loving it.  It really works for us.  I now have quite a decent sized study where all my half finished projects can sit until I have time to finish them.  I have my memo board where I can hang inspiration photos or chalk down ideas and I have a lovely wire heart to hold photos and postcards that I love.  I plan on making a sign to go above my wire heart and 'bus roll' hanging but haven't decided on the wording yet.

~







My kids (mainly my son) now has a little lounge where he and his friends can play on the x-box or where you can just go to read if you want a bit of peace and quiet.  The decor isn't quite how I want it yet - my Mum gave me the rug so I may change that, the wall colour blends too much with the leather (I may change it to white or really pale blue) the large picture frame is overbearing so I may make this wall into a gallery wall with loads of frames.  Plenty of scope but I have got decorators block at the moment thanks to all your gorgeous homes and my total confusion as to what I want!
 
For now though this is how it's staying!

xoxox

4 comments :

  1. What a great space! Very clever way to get lots of use out of one room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better than a blokey old garage! Plus, there's heaps of ways you could decorate which is always exciting, but I agree, a little confusing when there are so many beautiful options out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Sam, what a great use of the space and now you have your own place to work in! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks awesome now and the memo board turned out great!! Too bad abou that ohsoclose lottery tix too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x