Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Turning ugly into pretty


A few years ago I went to the Country Living Christmas Fair in London and picked up a little stool.
It was a really horrible dark green colour but I liked it's shape and thought it would come in handy.
To be honest, I've hated this little stool as the colour and finish were so ugly it didn't fit in anywhere in my house.  I did try painting it a pale sludgey green a while back but again, it didn't seem to improve it much.


A couple of nights ago, completely spur of the moment, I decided to spray paint it with Rustoleum paint in Heirloom white satin.  I sanded it back then sprayed a coat of primer on.  I only did one coat of primer as I didn't want to waste too much paint on something I don't like much!  I then gave it one coat of the main colour and after letting it dry for a couple of hours I sanded the paint off the corners and a few of the edges.

I quite like it now - it looks much prettier and is quite useful now on my hearth.

8 comments :

  1. Hi Sam, I'm having trouble seeing your photos for some reason. Maybe it's just me?! I can't wait to see your newly painted stool, once the pics show up for me!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat,
    all sorted now! This seems to happen whenever I load photos to blogger from picasa. They are there for a few hours then disappear. Does anyone else have this problem or is it something I'm doing?!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's adorable!! So funny story, our possibly future landlord said she was looking for a short, small stool...and I said I'd keep my eye peeled for one. I asked why she needed a stool, and you know what she said?

    She goes,

    I heard that if you use a stool while you're pooping, it helps you poop a lot better!

    I know thats a little much information, but I can't look at a stool without thinking of that hahahaha. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny - perhaps that's why they call them stools! I think I'm going to move mine to the bathroom now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh I reckon it looks great, good on you for giving it another go!!
    alicia
    ps. just read the stool comments, too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your newly painted stool. Looks much better now. I'm a new follower. Your blog is beautiful! Come see me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love your stool Samantha, I have one nearly identical I picked up at a flea market a few years back. Yours looks gorgeous:) I have to say Jana's comment above gave me the biggest belly laugh - too funny! Wishing you a wonderful weekend ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    You have a nice Blog.
    You make lovely projekts.

    greatings from the nederlands send you Conny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x