Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Grain sack pillow imposter


I really love the simple look of cushions made from grain sacks, however I don't like the price especially as I would need a few.

We have been walking like mad over the last few days as my brother's girlfriend and her son, Renzo are staying with us for Easter (my brother is currently on a yacht just off Ethiopia having been accompanied by armed guards to get him through Oman as boats and even ships in this area are frequently taken over by Somali pirates.  So scary and sounds unbelievable but the ship in front of him was taken over last week so my brother and his crew took no chances and turned around until armed guards were flown in.  Talk about another world!). Anyway we spent five hours in a country park on Monday, all afternoon in another in the pouring rain yesterday and today have been to the National Showcaves of Wales which also has an amazing dinosaur park for my nephew, Ned and Renzo (my two are a bit big for the dinosaurs but still really enjoyed the caves).  This is more fresh air than I am used to (given that I spend so much time sitting in front of the computer looking at all your gorgeous homes) so we have been collapsing in the evenings.  

Anyway, I have had an idea milling around in my head for a while so really late last night I got to it.  I often have a second wind last thing at night and finished this cushion around 2am. 

The stripes in grain sacks come in so many varieties but I decided on a thick stripe in the middle with a thinner one on each side.  I bought some plain off white linen which I washed to shrink before I started.  I then marked the centre of my fabric and put a thin, straight line of freezer paper either side of the centre - this gave me a gap of about 15mm for my thick centre stripe.  I then left a small gap either side of the freezer paper and ironed on another length each side to create the space for the thin stripes.  I used a stencil brush (as dabbing gives the paint the uneven pigmented look which I like) and dry dabbed fabric paint in oriental red in the three open areas to create my stripes.  



I plan on making a seat pad for my bench in my kitchen using the same fabric and the same method and I am also going to make a few more cushions but plan on varying the stripes so they look like they came from different styles of grain sacks.

My sister also has a long dining table and has had trouble finding a table runner for it so I plan on making her one now!



I am linking this to:
I'm Lovin it Fridays at Tidy Mom
 Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
I made it without my hubby at Shanty 2 Chic
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
and My House of Giggles's First Ever Tuesday Talent Show

12 comments :

  1. I think your cushion looks really great...love the texture the stencilling has given it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam this cushion looks fabulous!! What an absolutely brilliant idea!! Clever you, I think the stencilled stripe looks amazing. ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing!! You are so clever with that freezer paper of yours :) I have a stencil/freezer paper project in mind that you have inspired me to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful Sam!! great job!!

    Shellagh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by today & entering my giveaway! Looks like your daughter's bedroom is right out of her book! Good luck...my fingers are crossed for you!

    Shellagh

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME idea!! I LOVE it!!♥

    Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It! Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that pillow! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great job on the pillow! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You beat me to it. I'm so doing this too! One day. I hope... who am I kidding. :P

    Your variation turned out wonderful! Thanks for linking it up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, Samantha!!! I'd love it on my sofa:)

    Come on over and link up at my Tuesday TALENT SHOW if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love feedsacks as well and this is an awesome DIY version. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd to see different variations of strips on the pillows.


    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x