Monday, 8 March 2010

Pillow Talk!

I am just in love with the pillows in the two pictures below:
image Restoration Hardware
image Pottery Barn

Unfortunately neither Pottery Barn nor Restoration Hardware ship to the UK so my only chance of having these pillows is to make them myself.
~
Since my discovery of freezer paper I've gone a bit mad!

It's changed my life!
~
I'm ashamed to say that this weekend I did no cleaning, no ironing, very little blogging and no replying to lovely comments left on my blog (I am sorry and will be catching up with this later today)! I didn't leave the house and am embarrassed to admit that we had to forego our traditional sunday roast (which my husband cooks every week!) and make do with what he could scrape together from the measley offerings in our fridge!
~
I blame it all on freezer paper!
If you haven't tried it yet you have to. It is so easy to use and gives such clear letters or images that I can't wait to make more stuff.
~
Inspired by the pillows from Restoration Hardware above I made my own version of the address one:


I typed out the address in a font I liked then printed it off. Put freezer paper shiny side down on a cutting mat and put my printed paper on top then taped them both in place. With a sharp craft knife I cut through the letters which took over an hour and my shoulder blades were really aching afterwards. I also cut out and labelled the middle of some letters (a, e etc), labelled them and put them to one side. When it was all cut out I ironed the main piece on to the fabric and then one at a time, ironed the middle bits I had put aside. Then dry brushed stencilled on top (I prefer it quite faint but it's up to you how dark you go - just start with very little paint and you can just keep adding more).
Peeled off the paper and voila! I didn't have a cushion insert or any stuffing so have had to lay this across another cushion to take the photo so it looks a bit curved but it's not it's perfectly straight.



I had plenty of the red stripe fabric so still 'playing' I made a cushion with No. 5 on it which is our house number and nice and simple. I don't want to go overboard and have too many cushions with writing on!
The fabric is a vintage mangle fabric which I bought a few years ago at the Country Living Magazine Christmas Fair in London. It's been in a cupboard since as I never found the right project for it but I have now so it's washed, ironed and ready for action!



Finally I made another little Paris cushion (from the other leg of my trousers/pants) as my first attempt was just an experiment. I found a lovely little cotton trim which I stitched around the edge so that just the little loops showed on the finished cushion.


I've just printed off another Paris street name to print on a pillow and plan on making that tonight! It's my favourite street name ever - La Rue du Chat-qui-peche which is in Paris and I've always loved the almost comical name of that street that I'm delighted to now be able to use that name somewhere.......

I'm afraid that this is just the beginning. You'd better stock up on Freezer paper ladies before it goes into short supply cos I'm going to be buying it by the lorry load now!
xoxox

18 comments :

  1. Your cushions are gorgeous! I am so impressed. I will definately have to give it a go! Will you sell them? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh how beautiful! You are one clever woman! Maybe even someone a bit uncrafty like me could try that. Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi both,
    I will be selling these on etsy just as soon as I've made a few more. I want to perfect them first! You should both really have a go with this freezer paper stencilling - it is so easy. I'm new to using it but if you want any tips just ask!
    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's amazing! Your cushions look brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous Sam!! Love them all:) ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, oilily, room seven, greengate.... my style! =)
    Have a wonderful week, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my glory! I am drooling, I must attempt this myself. Fabulous, keep it coming, you are inspiring like mad!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Pottery Barn cushion but my absolute favourite is the No.5 cushion you made! I love it! I will have to give freezer paper stencilling a go myself. Is freezer paper like baking paper or is it waxy on one side?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pillows are divine. I am ready to make some too. Have you seen the graphic fairy? She has great vintage clip art. I bought a huge thing of freezer paper and have not used it yet...but I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, I am dense (and I see you do know the graphics fairy)..you don;t print on the freezer paper, you print on plain paper and use the freezer paper to transfer. Your pillows are so awesome I have to try this this weekend..oh it is only Monday...this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these look great! That fabric with the red stripe is lovely. I can't wait to follow your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wan to thank you for those pillows..They are amazing...I've talked about you on my blog...

    p.s. Can you explain me the freezer paper stencil?
    Please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just found your blog through gaia's! i want to go to paris so badly one day. those pillows are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam these are outstanding! I am a totally un-crafty person, but for the first time ever, I'm very tempted to give this a go.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh. I just did a tutorial on making a burlap "Paris" Pillow. I printed and cut letters and then painted with acrylic paint. I then hand painted some other parts. I'm not sure what the advantage of freezer paper is? I had never heard of it until this morning. Shows how consumed I was with work all of those years! Glad I found you. I'm subscribed in Reader now. Yay! you do great things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH....La chat qui peche...how funny! Never heard of it before but will have to check it out next time I'm in Paris. Funny how you can go there so many times and still be amazed by what you find there. I sometimes get teary-eyed just thinking how beautiful this city is.
    Here is my Paris pillow;
    http://lamaisonreid.blogspot.com/2010/06/making-burlap-paris-pillow.html
    I should paint some scrolls around the oval..no?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's just as well homemade pillows are always nicer to me then store brought pillows. I want to rest my head or body on something someone worked hard to make by hand.

    -Zane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x