Sunday, 7 March 2010

My living room

This is our main living room
~
~
It is still evolving - I don't like our cushions and plan to change them for a mix of coffee sack, burlap and grain sack cushions
~
I also am undecided about what to do about our fireplace - it's an antique fireplace and the mantle was part of a church pew from a local church so it has loads of character but I would love to change it for a white painted fire surround. What do you think - keep it as it is, paint this one white or have a white one either built around this one or instead of this one? Thoughts please!
~



We had the units either side of our fireplace built last year as I love the look of open shelving I so often see in homes on American TV programmes or films. Before they were built my old pine cupboard was to the right of the fireplace but I prefer it behind the door where it is now



Our coffee table is an old Butcher's Block which we bought when we were living in London. I am really lucky that my husband and I have really similar taste and he tends to just like anything I pick. This Butcher's Block was one of the few things he insisted on having and it's a bit warped and covered in scratches. Having this also allowed us to not have to be 'precious' when our kids were little as they could hammer away or bang on it to their hearts content!
~
You can just about see my heart shaped slate coasters on my coffee table. I have these cut for me by hand in West Wales and these used to sell out in my old shop within days of me having them in. I picked up 20 sets before Christmas and sold them all in one party with people asking for more! I'm going to be doing a giveaway soon and a pair of these coasters will be up for grabs!

xoxox

10 comments :

  1. Your living room is beautiful! And I wouldn't touch that gorgeous antique mantle made from the church pew...but that's just me, do whatever makes you happy! And I love the butcher block coffee table, your shelving, and of course those cute slate coasters! What a lovely room!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful room, I love your coffee table and the coasters are lovely. I would be tempted to paint the fireplace surround but it is beautiful as it is and has lots of character. If you really want a change then perhaps build a new mantle around it and leave this one in its original condition.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, your living room is beautiful!! I absolutely love your fireplace surround and I personally wouldn't paint it, but you should paint it if that is what you would like. Your whole room is so lovely and of course those white slipcovered sofas and your pine cupboard are wonderful!! I love all of your little touches especially those little slate heart coasters, I can understand why they are a huge seller -just gorgeous Sam ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fireplace and wouldn't touch it! It's good to have some natural timber to go with floors too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your living room is gorgeous Samantha - I actually love your fireplace as it is as it tones in really well with your coffee table and flooring. Love your white shelving on either side of the fireplace too. Your living room looks such such a warm, cosy, welcoming room x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Samantha, I just found your blog. What a gorgeous room! I love your mantle and the mirror above. I think the colour is great as it is. We re-built a fireplace in our renovator's delight and I painted it white as it is only pine. Here is the link: http://mollysmaison.blogspot.com/2009/12/white-christmas.html
    I love the white of ours but as I said, I think yours is great as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your living room is gorgeous! I'd paint the existing fireplace white, if it were my home. Best of luck, and hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear - this might come in a bit late, but I love your living room..! I wouldn't paint the fireplace and surround, simply because I actually do like the worn tone of the wood (had it been a darker wood, I would have said - paint away!) However, it is your home, so you should do as you please and make it your own.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh..just found your blog today through Funky Junk Interiors. I know this is an old post but wanted to put my two cents in. I absolutely love your fireplace mantel and I'm usually a person that says "Paint it White!" But in this case the color is so perfect and the texture so lovely....I think it would be such a shame to paint it. It looks great mixed with your white things. I would absolutely leave it.

    I'm thoroughly enjoying looking through your blog and just became your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and really like the color of the walls in your living room. Would you mind sharing the brand and color?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x