Saturday, 20 March 2010

Mini project - a little bit of turquoise for my desk


For a while I have been wanting to paint something in my home turqoise.  I just love sea greeny blues and find these colours really calming. 

The other day I decided to repaint an old crate which used to live in my shop for display purposes and then recently has been used as my in/pending/to do tray on my desk.

It started off looking like this:

I then mixed up 4 colours of Anita's all purpose Acrylic craft paint - I used a big dollop of Country Blue with smaller dollops of Seafoam Green and Dusty Green and then a little squirt of Midnight Blue.  I played around til I got a colour I liked and painted really roughly.  I sanded it then painted it again and then sanded it one last time with 220 grit sandpaper which always gives your finished item a nice sheen.

I'm wondering now whether to paint my antique chair to match - that's my trouble I never know when to stop!!

~

I had some paint left over so have painted some wooden coffee stirrers in this colour, a lighter colour and white and I am going to try to make one of those picture frames that have that Caribbean look - layers of distressed turqoisey bits of wood nailed to a frame.  They are painted now so I'll put them aside for this future project but I just didn't want to waste the paint.  I also painted a bit of trim I had left over from my bulletin board project as I had enough wood left to make a little blackboard and thought it would look nice with a turqoise frame.  Watch this space!

11 comments :

  1. THis is such a cheery color- can't wait to see your picture frames!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been itching to do the same thing! I was thinking of doing a chair for my as yet unfinished art studio. It's a great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous as always Sam!! Love the colour:) Can't wait to see your other turquoise projects. Glad to see you are feeling better. Wishing you a wonderful weekend ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. I just discovered your lovely blog tonight, just when I was thinking how great it would be to have a UK blog on my blogroll..and there you were! It was great to hit follow on another terrific blog and I look forward to reading you lots more.
    The turquoise looks great. I love simple ideas that pack a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new color on your desk top crate!

    cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new look of your crate! It looks so cheery!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Samantha!
    I know what you mean about turquoise, I just got a chair the same colour and it is so cheerful and beachy. The crate looks perfect, I like how it still looks very rustic. I also wanted to thank you for mentioning me as a Beautiful Blogger. I just started blogging and so it is really nice to have support from other bloggers. I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Samantha, love what you've done with the crate, it looks great and I love the colour - it's one of my favourites.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm so glad you did because now I've found yours!
    Have a great day,
    Kerri x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your crate and the beautiful custom color you created! And I love those frames with all the bits of distressed wood, I can't wait to see yours!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how the crate turned out. The colour is gorgeous and I think a chair in this colour would look lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x