Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Make your own Welsh cakes (or cheat and buy some like I did)

I thought that today I would share with you a little tasty treat from my part of the world
~
Welsh cakes
Have I ever confessed to being absolutely useless in the kitchen
~
Do I know you all well enough to admit to this yet?
~
I mean I can organise cupboards and keep it looking nice but when it comes to cooking - anything - that's my husband's job
~
there are a few things that I can make well but he usually can't bear to have me anywhere near the kitchen as when I make something I have to have a clean bowl for every ingredient that I weigh and it drives him nuts
~
Anyway, as yesterday was St David's day my son's school had Welsh cakes for sale in the cafeteria
~
Now Seth has had Welsh cakes loads of times before but his almost teen hormones seem to be kicking in and he has gone from having an OK apetite to us not being able to fill him
~
I guess his taste buds must be changing too cos he came home from school raving about how gorgeous the three Welsh cakes be bought lunch time were!
~
Welsh cakes are lovely as they are sweet and spicey at the same time
~
Now if I were a good mother I would have made him some today however, given my culinary talents (or lack of), I decided to buy him some instead and try and pass them off as my own!
~
Had they been made by me they would be mainly black and probably a lot thinner (a vague memory of making them badly in school is making it's way from the back of my mind!) so in a way I was just saving him from a bad tummy later (although looking at the amount of sugar on the ones I bought he may end up with toothache!)
~
Anyway, I thought I would give you all the recipe to make your own Welsh Cakes and I would love to say this recipe is tried and tested by my own fair hands but as you can see you're just going to have to take the cook books word for it!
~
First of all you need one of these


a bakestone
if you don't have one a griddle will do or as a last resort a frying pan
Ingredients
225g/8oz self raising flour sieved/sifted
3oz/75g caster/fine sugar
110g/4oz butter
1 large egg
handful of sultanas
1 tsb mixed spice
pinch of salt
a little milk to blend
Preparation
Sieve the flour, salt and spice into a bowl
Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs
Add the sugar and the dried fruit
Pour in the beaten egg and stir to make a firm dough
Roll out the dough to approx 1/4 inch thick
Cut into discs with a cutter approx 2 to 3 inch in diameter
lightly grease the bakestone and heat over a medium burner
cook the Welsh cakes directly on the hob turning once until golden brown on both sides
they still need to be a little soft in the middle
dust with sugar if desired
~
Enjoy!
xx

6 comments :

  1. Ooh thank you for this recipe Samantha. These cakes look lovely. They sound perfect for a warm afternoon tea on a cold day like it is here again today! I think I have all the ingredients already so will give them a go:) I try to bake every weekend and freeze muffins etc.. for the girls' lunchboxes, but sometimes it is just easier to buy something ready made. Lucky you to have a hubby who cooks! I think mine has cooked maybe 6 times in 24 yrs... Thanks so much again for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful day ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well those look interesting. I am not a cook, but I love reading recipes. Isn't that strange:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try making these, they sound delicious. Do you know what the spices are in your "mixed" spices by any chance? I wonder if it's the same thing as what we refer to as "seasoned salt."

    And I had to look up sultanas! I wonder if I can find those here as well.

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat,
    mixed spice is generally a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice but it can include other things like cloves and ginger too. I forget about the geographical differences and I thinks sultanas are simply Californian raisins.
    Sorry to confuse you!
    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam, these sound yummy, perfect witha hot cuppa. I like things with mixed spices in them, especially cinnamon. Might have to give them a go :) Lucky you having a husband who likes cooking. My husband prefers to stick to the BBQ when it's his turn to cook :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x