Thursday, 4 March 2010

goodbye linen trousers - hello paris pillow

I've been reading a lot about making stencils out of freezer paper lately but unfortunately this is an American product that isn't made in the UK
~
Not one to give up I managed to trace some in a quilting shop owned by an American lady
~
I have been dying to make a cushion with letters on it either out of linen or burlap (which we Brits call hessian) and decided to look for a simple style of lettering for my first attempt)
~
I found this lovely image at Graphics Fairy where you can download images for free

I love the simplicity of the letters. I printed out the image on A4 paper and then put it on top of a piece of freezer paper. I taped them both in place on a cutting mat and then cut through the letters with a craft knife
~
Next, I came across an old pair of linen trousers of mine which I had put aside to make linen hearts from - I decided to cut these up and have a go at a cushion
a leg piece ready for the freezer paper stencil


I ironed the image in place starting with the large piece and then ironing the middles of the P, A and R in place

~

I then used a stencil brush and black fabric paint to dry brush the letters through the stencil


I measured 3 inches from the edge of the letters at the top and bottom and 2 inches from the sides of the letters and drew a line at these measurements to mark the size of my pillow


~

I then marked another line an inch away from the first line as I wanted to fray most of the fabric within this inch to make a kind of frill - I did this mainly for speed (as this cushion is an experiment plus when I decide to start something, often on impulse I don't have the patience to wait until tomorrow to finish it and I don't have a zip to hand)

~

I then realised that I didn't have enough wadding to stuff the cushion and my impatiece got a hold of me again so I cut up an old feather cushion pad which had been in the airing cupboard for ages
~
My living room ended up looking like foxes had been at the hen house - there were feathers everywhere - all over the sofa, the floor, all over me, even in my mouth!

~
I'm often quite critical of my own work and tend to see the flaws over anything else however, even though I shouldn't have put feathers straight in as I know they are going to poke out and annoy me and even though I should have frayed the fabric first before painting to make sure the fabric threads were in a line...I am really pleased with how it turned out


I've wanted a cushion with letters on for ages and now I have one!

21 comments :

  1. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! I love it Sam!!! Yay you ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! You did a wonderful job on it, I love that it's on linen fabric too, very smart looking!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous Sam! Love that you could re-use those old trousers to make this beautiful cushion x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a great job. Looks like it cost a million bucks. Laura@the mansion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo- you did a fabulous job and thanks for sharing your tutorial. I love the frayed edges too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those turned out WONDERFUL! I need to figure out the whole freezer paper thing as well. It looks beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks beautiful! I'm impressed!

    Andy
    Poppies at Play

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! I am always thinkin gof ways to repurpose shirts, but I don't think of reusing pants very often. LOVE this!
    If you're interested, we have a Friday Fun Find party... we'd love it if you'd link up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently bought some freezer paper and was waiting to be inspired to use it. I may need to go and make a pillow now. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pillow is perfect! Very smart to use old linen trousers. ( I love that word :))

    I'm glad you were able to find freezer paper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow... that looks great! I love the look of the letters... like they have been on there for years! Very pretty!!
    ~Jennifer
    www.studiojru.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE linen, love your pillow! Looking so so much out for Summer, so I can wear my linen clothes again... sigh.... still a couple of months to go. What a great idea, turning it into that lovely pillow. I'll remember this make-over....
    Have a wonderful weekend! Oh, I'm off to read some of your past posts... looking so lovely, your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for linking this one up to "Brag Monday" today! Such a great looking pillow!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely pillow!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's wonderful..and the fact that you used your pants is a great idea..I must go scrounge around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out beautiful! I love how you did the edging, too. I really have to try this freezer paper trick.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pillow...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabuluous idea to "recycle" pants into a pillow!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who would have thought you could turn the linen pants into such a sweet pillow

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks beautiful. I can't wait to try the freezer paper. Hope mine looks as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x