Friday, 19 February 2010

Explaining my absence and map project finally finished

I am not the best blogger in the world and would love to be able to manage to post at least 3 times a week but with two children and a full-time job it's hard to find the time. February is the month where I have the least spare time as both my babies and my husband have their birthdays within 10 days of each other. Also my brother's girlfriend has a little boy whose birthday also falls in the same week as my three so even more tail chasing for me as I now have to post presents to Spain on top of planning parties, buying presents, making party bags...

Anyway these two are the reason I have been absent for the last week!
Lily was 8 yesterday and had a little tea party for some friends and neighbours. Her 'real' party is on Sunday when we are going to Build a Bear with 7 of her best friends. This is why she only had profiteroles with candles yesterday - I'm not buying two birthday cakes!
Seth will be 12 next week but we had his party this week as it's half term here and he wanted to see Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief so if we waited til his birthday chances are most of his friends would have already seen it. We went for pizza afterwards and unbelievably 9 12 years old boys behaved really well!

~

Anyway, ages ago I started giving Seth's bedroom a quick paint job but ended up doing a bit more than I had planned. I had accidentally ripped his world map so had decided to split it into 3 and frame the pieces over cork so that we could 'map out' where he has been. I had to put each section of the map on a slight angle or I wouldn't have been able to frame it properly but I can live with this! I've been a bit slack on finishing this project partly due to time and partly due to the fact that I had to wait til the frames I wanted in TKMaxx were in stock and at a good price. I've finally finished and all three frames are made by the same company but are slightly different which I love.
I made map pins showing the year he visited (or first went to) everywhere he has been. No pins on the Asia/Australia map just yet!
I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
~

On another note, my photos are terrible and getting worse - my camera is definitely on it's way out and I can't afford to replace it with the kind that I would like to. Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent DSLR camera?

9 comments :

  1. Firstly, Happy Birthday to your Seth and Lily!! Fabulous pics and I hope Lily has a wonderful party, I loved her profiteroles, great idea Samantha:) Secondly, the world map lookes AMAZING in the frames - I love it!!! Hope you have a more relaxed week! ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your children! And I can sympathize with being too busy for words, literally!

    I love the way you framed the torn map, it turned out beautifully! And what a great way to map out your travels!

    I hope the party goes well on Sunday and that you have a wonderful weekend!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your two lovely ones!! Love the framed maps - they look great. The idea of marking the places your son has visited is fantastic. You'll have to make sure the next pin is on Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to everyone! :) The maps look fantastic! Such a great idea to put them on cork so you can pin it... I LOVE that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! And maps are so popular right now, too! Instant art and an educational tool ~ can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool... I like those! Yours are different in the fact that you left them colourful. It's a nice change! Looks great!

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thanks for the sweet comments on my bathroom makeover. ;)
    I think I'll stay awhile and check out
    "The Nest" :) Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The maps turned out great and look fantastic. What a great idea. Happy birthday to the children. Looks like they had a great time.
    Nellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just dropped by and saw your post with the maps. this is an eeeerie coincidence, do pop over to my blog and have a look if you have time to see why ;0)
    alicia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x