Thursday, 4 February 2010

Bedroom Furniture revamp

For the last week I have been helping a friend makeover her tired, dated, orange pine bedroom furniture. I forgot to take a before picture (this is where it shows that I'm not a truly dedicated blogger yet). You can use your imagination though - orange pine with a light varnish. This look has been and gone. My friend had mentioned that she was thinking of replacing her furniture with some painted furniture and had seen a single set of drawers on sale in Laura Ashley for £400! I hate to see things go to waste when they can clearly be re-purposed so suggested she paint her funiture which in turn led to me offering to tell her how to do it, then show her how to do it, then help her do it, then do it all myself cos I was scared she would make a mess of it! It's taken a week of evenings after work and the weekend to transform her furniture and we are both really pleased with how it turned out.




Firstly I removed the drawer fronts to make it easier to paint them. The fronts are actually separate to the drawers so came off nicely. Big lesson learnt here - we forgot to number the drawers and drawer fronts and we later learnt that the screw holes were in different places on every drawer so when we finished it took my husband over two hours of trial and error to match them all!! He was very amused by this - NOT!

I then sanded everything to remove the varnish and put on my first coat of primer then sanded again and applied a second coat of primer. More sanding and first coat of main colour - White Tie oil based eggshell by Farrow and Ball. I really love their paints as they are so easy to work with. I also prefer oil based paint for my top coats as it gives a more solid, long lasting finish and has a very nice subtle sheen. More sanding and then another coat of eggshell. I then sanded the corners and certain areas right back to the bare wood and applied a dark oak stained wax which I rubbed into the wood and then back off again.

Finally we changed the drawer pulls (which had been orange pine the same as the dressers) to some lovely pale green ceramic ones my friend found online. They had a pewter effect finish too and really changed the look of the furniture. They were a nightmare to fit as the previous ones had screwed in the back of the drawer front but these had longer screws and bolts so we had to drill big holes in the actuall drawers for the bolts to sit inside.

Still, not one to give up I persevered and think they look great now and have saved my friend a fortune.

Here are some up close detailed shots.

The paint, brushes, sandpaper and drawer pulls came to around £50 saving her £750 had she bought two new sets in the Laura Ashley sale!

The only thing now is I feel that my own bedroom furniture is looking a bit dated too - I may have to make a start on that soon!

14 comments :

  1. Samantha - you did such a wonderful job. The drawers look absolutely stunning!! They look like they could come from Laura Ashley. Love those green and pewter knobs. What an incredible saving and what a wonderful friend you are to do this for your friend:) You must be thrilled with the result. Fancy on flying a few thousand miles to help me too?- Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that turned out really nicely! And good hint about numbering the drawer fronts...who knew?! I love the white F&B paint you used, and how you sanded it and antiqued it to give it that vintage feel. Those Laura Ashley pieces could not have been this pretty I'm sure!

    I wish you lived closer, I could use a good friend such as yourself to help me create beautiful furniture out of old dingy tired furniture! I hope she's taking you for a drink or making you dinner for all of your hard work! Well done!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are lovely! I love the distressed treatment you gave it! She must be you r very best friend now- both with all the money you saved her and showing her how to accomplish this! :) Good job~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samantha - this wont come a surprise to you that you'll guess who blogging this!You have done an absolute fantastic job on my bedroom furniture and yes saved me an absolute fortune on replacing them cos seriously i was going to sling them out to the rubbish tip! I am so glad i didnt. It been hard work just watching her work - I dont know how she does it! But i thoroughly enjoyed the many hours of her company & chats (& our children happily got acqainted more together too) over few cup of teas and eating chocolate flakes while my furniture magically changes from a manky horrible orangey pine to a very soft calming antique feel that blend in beautifully to my antique white walls. Sam is now on my speed dial for my next project LOL! Well done and thank you so much from the bottom of my heart x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That piece is beautiful now. You did a great job with the distressing and the hardware you chose is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very pretty! love the hardware, too. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! Love the knobs! I love painting furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so pretty! I absolutely love the knobs. That totally makes the piece for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely. You really paid attention to detail and it shows. The knobs take it "over the top".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great redo, very pretty!Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's easy to find Cheap Furniture for decorating your home & office in latest style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spacify offers a wide selection of quality bedroom furniture to decorate your bedroom in a modern style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done such a lovely job - I love those knobs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x