Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Country Living Magazines halloween ideas

I love Halloween.

As a child I grew up in a small village and every kid went trick or treating although we didn't call it that 'in those days'. We just used to say "Happy Halloween" and hold out our bags! Also we didn't have pumpkins in the UK then (I sound about 90 but I'm not - honestly!) so we used to use swedes (turnips) which are really hard to carve out and would take my poor Mum and Dad ages to do as there are three of us and we all had to have a lantern. My Mum was a nurse and in the seventies nurses in the UK wore short black capes and she had two of them so my sister and I were witches or vampires every year. I moved from there when I was ten and everywhere I've lived since then hasn't celebrated Halloween with such enthusiasm. We lived in London for almost 6 years and never once had a kid call on us on Halloween - so sad! When we moved back to Wales when I was pregnant with my son we moved to the kind of place I grew up in. He had his first Halloween costume at 8 months of age - he had a red devil velour romper - SOO cute (this has been passed on to friends kids, my daughter, my nephew and my baby niece, Kitty will be wearing it for the first time this year) and we have had a Halloween party every year since he started school. One of my neighbours shares my enthusiasm and between us (and other neighbours we have roped in to help us) have a really big party in the street every year. We do different activities in all houses and the kids can move from one place to another. The party kind of grows in numbers and enthusiasm every year so I am always on the lookout for new ideas. I'll post some photos from our previous parties soon.

Here are some great ideas for decorating your home at Halloween which are in the current issue of Country Living Magazine (the American version):



you can find the template for these bats at


http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/data/bat.pdf



the template for these crows/ravens is here:

http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/data/ravens.pdf



Happy Haunting xx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will read every one and will visit your blog too (be patient with me as I get carried away blog browsing. I appreciate every comment left x